Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mid Winter and Going Strong

I was afraid that I might just cocoon all winter but so far I've been able to keep busy. Skiing continues to go very well -- it's amazing what a decent set of skis can do. A few weekends ago I managed 10km in 2 hrs. and I felt I could have gone 15. My goal is to do 20km before the season is out. My technique has improved to the point where I'm not consuming massive amounts of calories trying to keep my balance while shuffling through the snow. I've got a half decent kick with the classic technique but my balance is still wobbly so I tend to shuffle more than I should. Nonetheless, I'm gliding better than I did before. Now if I can only figure out how to turn while my skis are in the track and gain more confidence going down steep hills I'll truly become a novice.

I've also done something I never thought I would do: go snowmobiling. If there's one thing the many months at Sunnybrook Hospital has taught me it is that snowmobile traumas are sort of like motorcycle traumas except the snow helps mitigate the injuries somewhat (assuming that snow is the first thing your body hits). These prior experiences combined with the relative expense of snowmobiles -- a new model can run you over 10 grand easily -- has made me reticent in acquiring one. Nonetheless, I did resolve to give it a try just to see why people enjoy it so much.

A GP on staff invited me out one late afternoon and loaned me the use of one of his snowmobiles. The first problem I had was the helmet...man, it was tricky to get my glasses on with that thing on. Perhaps it was the wrong size but it was a tight fit and I was worried about warping my glasses. The next problem was having my glasses and visor fog up. In the end I rode with the visor up the whole time which is why I'm wearing my sunglasses in the photo above.

It was a nice clear and relatively warm day (-5C) without too much wind. As I gingerly tested the accelerator I realized that the snowmobile won't move if you give it a little bit of gas. You have to push the gas up to a certain point where the snowmobile will then lurch forward at a minimum speed. As I followed my guide it took a while for me to shake the feeling of unease from not wearing a seatbelt.

It took us about 10 minutes to get onto the trail and once there we opened up on the throttle. These machines certainly run fast. Out on a wide open lake I was eventually brave enough to hit 90km/h. It was a thrill to experience the open sky while zooming across the terrain perched on top of a buzzing motor. The trails were quite scenic and it made me realize how little you see from the highway. It's also neat how you wouldn't normally be able to access these ponds and trails during the summer. However, it took me a while to get used to the bumpy ride, the unsteady shifting of the machine on the snow, and the mushy steering.

After stopping at a watering hole where we had an artery clogging snack of chicken wings, Pepsi, and beer (for my colleague...I don't touch the stuff when I'm driving due to my genetic deficiency) we headed out after night fall. I've always been interested in astronomy and being under a rural winter night sky with the stars out is a welcome change from downtown Toronto. I wish I could see the aurora borealis but I think the sun is in a low period of solar activity this year.

Well, it was a very enjoyable experience after all. As long as you're not the leader, as long as you follow precisely in the leader's tracks, and as long as you're not going too fast then it's not particularly dangerous. It would be pretty cool to go out on a snowmobile expedition in the company of friends -- apparently you can go all the way to St. John's from St. Anthony although you'll need a guide to get through Gros Morne park. While I still don't think I'll buy a snowmobile, I'd be happy to tag along when invited.

Ping pong, badminton, and weight training round out my exercise regimen. It's safe to say that I haven't exercised this much since Gr. 9/10 when I last took Phys. Ed. or undergrad when I took karate lessons. It's having a positive effect on my physique so far -- who knows, if I keep this up I may wind up losing my paunch!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey hoi kwan!

glad to hear you're enjoying the beautiful weather out there! (I understand you're hesitancy with the snowmobile, but paul says it's a lot of fun!) I hope this means you are settling in out there - I've wanted to do cross country skiing but didn't work out this year...are you coming home for your bday? KS

HKL said...

Hey there! The weather is nice enough although you do get the regular cold snaps and snowstorms that blow through.

I'm planning on coming back in April but I haven't nailed down the specific weekend yet. Some of my colleagues will be away that month so there are only certain days when I can come. I'm hoping for the 17th-20th.

---HKL

jackie said...

WOW SNOWMOBILING!!! COOOL!
and oh my gosh, that moose sounds like a squirrel caught in headlights but 100x slower and bigger. LOL.