This is a shot somebody took at the airport during the storm. The visibility of my drive was 2x worse.My next escapade through winter wonderland was during my trip for Chinese New Year. Now, actually, the drive wasn't that bad at all but there were 2 storms that were going to affect my travel - one pulling out of Toronto and arriving in Halifax and one pushing into Newfoundland. Air Canada was issuing travel warnings and was allowing people to rebook their flights. Now, usually, you rebook your flight until after the storm -- but not me! I fired up the Weather Network's website and checked out AC's flight schedules. Using the hourly forecast, I found that if I switched to an earlier flight, I could leave before the storm arrived in Nfld. and arrive in Halifax just as the other one was arriving. In addition, I was hoping Toronto would have dug itself out by the time my flight left Halifax. I was totally expecting this plan to fail and be forced to layover in Deer Lake or Halifax due to cancellations...but, it worked! To my amazement, I made it into Toronto on time with no weather delays! Unfortunately, AC lost my luggage so it wasn't a complete success....
All this heavy winter weather means that we have a good amount of snow on the cross country ski trails this year. Happily, I'm skiing much more than I was last year. I'm hoping to do 19.5 km but my ski partners are sort of reluctant. There won't be many more weeks of skiing if this warming trend continues.
The job search isn't going very well. There was one possible position at Cochrane but it was only until June 2012. In addition, it was a solo spot and only General Surgery which wouldn't be professionally satisfying for me. I sent them my CV and kept them in mind should the locum market open up a bit. However, at this point in time I'm still a little selective about the type of place I want to work. If this job shortage continues for the long term I may very well change my mind. Fortunately, there's no huge rush seeing as I 'm still enjoying my present job. For now, I'll just bide my time.
I'll be in Toronto again in April for a conference. I'm also trying to get things organized for my Tibet trip. One other thing I miss about Toronto was how much easier it was to get things like visas. I'm forced to either spend money and courier in the applications or relying on family members to handle the visa process for me. In addition, Tibet is a sensitive area and, although I did not put Tibet as a destination on my Chinese visa (all the internet forums recommend you leave Tibet off), I did put Xining down because I figured the communists would know I booked a flight there. Well, that must have set off a few alarm bells because the lady at the consulate then asked for my old passports! Ooops.
Anyhow, I Xpressposted my old passports over and hopefully they'll be satisfied this time. After the Chinese Visa I'm going to need a Nepal Visa *and* an Indian Visa. (More details later...)
No comments:
Post a Comment