Tuesday, June 14, 2011

More Travel and Air Canada Anxiety

I was out of town yet again for the weekend -- this time to St. John's to fulfill my duties as the local rep. Due to the timing of flights I was committed to a full 3 nights in St. John's. In addition to dining out at a few restaurants I managed to watch 3 movies to make up for my recent trip to Tibet: X-Men 1st Class, Super 8, and Thor. X-men was actually pretty good with good plot, character development, and just-enough action to satisfy. I don't think I'm enough of an '80s movie buff to truly enjoy Super 8. It's sort of like a non-Trekkie watching JJ Abrams' remake of Star Trek -- you'll miss all the references which the true fans will get. Thor was the least impressive of the bunch but it wasn't a waste of time either. I think Thor's exile on Earth was a bit slow and poorly developed. Fortunately, hammer-time came back and Mjolnir stole the show.

I'm once again, getting ready to leave time with my locum in Brockville being my first stop. I'm pretty pumped since this is the first job prospect I've had so far and hopefully I'll impress. Unfortunately, the Air Canada strike is throwing a wrench into my travel plans. My Plan A involves taking the train into Brockville but I only have 1.5 hrs. to make the connection and the flights I needed to take were delayed today by 2-3 hrs. Hopefully Air Canada can pick up the slack and the unions won't try to escalate. Otherwise, Plan B is renting a car in Ottawa and driving to Brockville.

I'll try to get back on track with the Tibet postings!

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Your Plan B isn't too bad, Hoi -- from the Ottawa airport to Brockville is about a 1.5 hr drive.

HKL said...

Yup, however, it does create some logistical problems later on. My next destination after Brockville is Toronto and if I rent a car in Ottawa I'll need to backtrack to return the car! Not a big deal I suppose - I just need to get a cheap flight to Toronto.