Hey everybody, I arrived home from Tibet about a week ago. In addition to the usual procrastination I've been running around making arrangements and catching up on 2.5 weeks worth of chores. As the old saying goes: the people most in need of a vacation are the ones who have just come back from one.
Tibet was certainly no picnic and I would caution anyone who goes there expecting a relaxing time. My trip was made all the more grueling by a serious upper/lower respiratory tract infection and quite possibly a pneumonia (more details to come). I'm much better now but I have this residual cough that just refuses to go away.
Fortunately, I was able to hit the ground running when I got back. What they say about jet lag being easier to manage when traveling west is quite true. I arrived in Deer Lake around 8:30 pm and promptly crashed at the local B&B. I slept well for the next 9 hrs. and was ready for the 5 hr. drive back to St. Anthony to following morning. The day after that I was back at work and I was feeling good until 8-9 pm when the jet lag finally caught up.
The reason for all the activity on my side is thanks to a potential job offer from Brockville, ON. They informed me that they'd like me to come out to do a short 4-day locum so we can check each other out. So, I was busy filling out paperwork, booking flights, train tickets, etc., getting ready for this trip. I'm cautiously optimistic about my chances (they say there's only one other candidate they're looking at) but it's clear that I'm not their ideal candidate -- they were hoping to recruit a specialist (RCPSC) Anesthetist but so far there have been no takers. Nonetheless, it is exciting to contemplate the possibilities and I'm quite surprised I have a shot at a position in Southern Ontario.
The Canadian Anesthesia Society meeting is in Toronto later this month. I'll be heading into Toronto a few days early after Brockville. After that, we're into the lazy days of summer when our hospital slows down for 2.5 months.
I've finished reviewing the photos I took of Tibet and I hope to start posting my experience by the end of day.
Update: I've decided to "retro-post" my Tibet trip. Here's the link to the first posting.
4 comments:
Huh, I was thinking just this week that I might come drop a comment and ask what you've been up to.
Good luck on the Brockville position!
Thanks! I know I've been MIA on your blog as well. I'll try to fix that in the next few days as well.
Yay! You may be able to join us on the ride next year!
Man, I have lost ALL my Ride for Heart T-shirts to wear-and-tear. I want more T-shirts!
--HKL
P.S. Y'know, I think there's a new trail that comes out here so you could go on a multi-day bike trip out here, too!
Post a Comment